[Explained by a Legal Professional] Different Types of Status of Residence and its Rules

2022-04-26 LIFE , VISA , WORK

This post is also available in 日本語

Everybody knows “status of residence (so called “VISA”)” is important for foreigners living in Japan, but do you know how many different types are there ?  There are currently 29 types of “status of residence” in Japan, and in addition to this, there is the status of “special permanent resident”. All of you have this, right?

This time,  I would like to introduce you about  the three important rules that you should know in regard to status of residence.

29 types of status of residence

Classifications according to activities (25 types)

1Diplomat, Official, Professor, Artist, Religious Activities, Journalist
2Highly Skilled Professionals, Business Manager, Legal/Accounting Services, Medical Services, Researcher, Instructor, Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services, Intra-Company Transferee, Caregiver, Entertainer, Skilled Labor, Specified Skilled Worker, Technical Intern Training
3Cultural Activities, Temporary Visitor
4Student, Trainee, Dependent
5Designated Activities

Classifications according to status and position (4 types)

Permanent Resident, Spouse or Child of Japanese National, Spouse or Child of Permanent Resident, Long Term Resident

※No limitation for activities engaged.

[Rule 1] Acquire one of these

If you want to live in Japan, you need to acquire one of these categories. If you do not have a status of residence…you are “staying illegally”, and you will not be allowed to remain in Japan.

[Rule 2] Depending on the status, what you can/cannot do are determined

Depending on the status you have, the jobs you “can” and “cannot” do are clearly determined. If you do something you are not allowed to do…If you carry out activities that have not been permitted, that is to say, “unqualified activities”, in the worst case, you may not be allowed to stay in Japan.

[Rule 3] Permitted Period of Stay

The period of stay is determined along with the status of residence, such as 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, etc. Extension of stay (renewal of period of stay) is possible if conditions are met, but some statuses have a maximum period of stay of up to five years or a total of five years. If you are still in Japan when the period has expired…this is a serious problem. It is called “overstaying”, and not only will you need to leave Japan, but you may not be allowed to return for a certain period.

There are many types of “Status of Residence”, and various important rules, so they seem quite difficult. If there is something you want to know about “Status of Residence”, or there is something you do not understand, please consult with experts  called  Immigration Lawyer like us!

This article in Japanese by Immigration Lawyer Yumiko Kasama (Gyoseishoshi Kasama Yumiko Office)


Deputy Director of the International section of Kanagawa Administrative Lawyers Association (Kanagawa-Ken Gyoseishoshikai)
After engaging in the support of developing countries in Asia, Africa, and Central and South America as part of international humanitarian aid NGOs, she changed her life course, and became an immigration lawyer to support foreign nationals in Japan. In addition to supporting foreign nationals with their residence status (visa) or nationality procedures, she provides consultations to small- and medium-sized companies on utilization of human resources from overseas countries.
As an immigration lawyer who is specialist on residence status/nationality, she provides legal support regardless of country or visa type. She likes to tackle with difficult cases under special circumstances, and she is actively challenging on procedures of special type of visa such as “Technical Intern Trainee” and “Specified Skilled Worker” etc.

  • Civil member of Human Rights Policy Promotion Council at Kawasaki City Civic Cultural Rights/Gender Equality Participation Department
  • Member of Professional Group for supporting companies on employment of foreigners at Kawasaki Chamber of Commerce and Industry
  • Management Consultant (employment of foreigners) at Kawasaki Institute of Industrial promotion
  • Volunteer of Kawasaki International Association
  • Coordinator of research on Specified Skilled Worker visa at Kanagawa Federation of Small Business Associations
Living in JAPAN VISA

Living in Japan VISA will help companies who want to hire foreign people and foreigners who want to work in Japan by introducing notary publics who are specialized in Residency Status to end up with “worry-free hiring and worry-free job.”